Tuesday, April 12, 2011

BMW M Power Watch

Looking back through my recent posts, it strikes me that I do have a rather eclectic collection of watches. The watch I'm wearing today fits right in. It's a BMW M Power watch which was made by Tourneau and sold through BMW dealers. I would not normally go for such a "boutique" type watch (even the Pirelli watches aren't such blatant promotional items) but I had a few good reasons to buy this one. First, in January of 2010 I bought this 2003 BMW M3 convertible. I decided I wanted a fun weekend car, and after narrowing my choices to this or a slightly older Porsche Carrera cabriolet, I decided on the BMW. This is also one of the reasons I stopped buying so many watches and didn't make any new Watch-A-Day posts last year. Second, I had a chance to see this watch in person and found it to be much more substantial and higher quality than I expected. And finally, I found this one brand new and cheap on eBay, so I couldn't pass it up. It's a really nice watch, very solid, and substantial at 45mm wide with a bracelet that tapers from 27mm at the lugs to 21mm at the clasp. The polished bezel and center links add some flash, but overall it still looks very functional. It has a Swiss movement (Ronda, I believe) that includes an alarm. The button at 4 o'clock is to turn the alarm on or off and change the alarm time (by holding the button down.) The dial is legible with some nice details, like the subtle grooved pattern in the subdials and center circle and big date at 6 o'clock. The 9 o'clock subdial is for the alarm, while the 3 o'clock is seconds. Since this is not a chronograph, there is no tachymeter, however the bezel is one-way with 60 clicks. There is an M Power Chronograph but it's more expensive than this one, and I don't think it's that much nicer. If you're a BMW owner, or even a fan, and you can find this watch for $100 or less, I'd say it's an excellent buy.















No comments: