Thursday, August 14, 2008

Vintage Bulova 23 Jewels

Today I'm wearing this vintage Bulova. It's yet another of my vast accumulation of fairly common vintage watches, and like many of them I got this one from my father. It keeps good time, although it will occasionally stop, but not often. Probably just needs a cleaning. It's from 1963 (the "M3" on the caseback indicates M for 1960s plus 3 for 1963. N is 1970s, L 1950s, etc.) and has a pretty typical look for that era. It's all stainless with bright hour markers and a ring around the hour track, with a very faint linen pattern on the dial. The acrylic crystal is in decent shape, as is the expanding bracelet. I don't normally like this kind of bracelet, but this on is only half expanding, and half fixed, so I think I like it a little better. I haven't opened this one, but I believe the 23 jewel movement is Bulova's in-house one, which means it was made in the U.S.A. The rest of the watch would have been made here too, and assembled here. I think by the early 1960s even Hamiltons were mostly Swiss, so it's kind of nice to have a later all-American watch.








No comments: