Thursday, August 21, 2008

Vintage Bulova Fancy Square

No, "Fancy Square" is not this watch's actual name. I don't know if it has a name, but it is fancy and square, so I'll go with that, if only to differentiate it from my other Bulovas. I thought this watch was from the 30s due to the design, but the "M3" marking on the back means it's from 1963 (as I learned when I was researching my Bulova Oceanographer.) I guess it was just a fancy men's dress watch because most of the other 1960s watches I've seen are much sleeker and simpler. It's a very nice design with an embossed checked texture on the white gold plated case around a cushion-shaped dial. The dial has some discoloration to it and I'm not sure what caused it, but it does add some visual interest to the plain-colored dial. It also has a previous owner's name and phone number engraved in the caseback, but it's not very deep so I'm sure it could be removed with some buffing. I just put it on a new lizard strap which fits well enough (maybe a mm or less too narrow at the lugs)
and it looks good if a bit fancy for casual daytime wear.












No comments: