Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 1: Casio G-Shock G-7100D-1VDR

Sorry, no fancy name or nickname for today's watch, and G-7100D-1VDR doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Additionally, it's just really not that interesting. Sure, it is water resistant to 200m, has stopwatch, countdown timer, multiple time zones and electro-luminescent backlight, as well as "e-DATA MEMORY" which can store 280 characters, but most of my other G-Shocks do almost all of those things. This one also lacks solar power (relying instead on a lithium cell with a claimed 10 year life) and radio-controlled atomic timekeeping. So what makes it special? Well, to me it's special because it was my very first G-Shock. Sure, I've known about G-Shocks for years (Does anybody else remember the "hockey puck" commercial?) but when it came time for me to buy a sports watch (in my late teens if I recall correctly) I bought a Timex Ironman Triathalon. Why? Maybe price, maybe because I was bicycling a lot, I don't know, but had I bought a classic G-Shock at the time it would certainly have more collector's value. But I digress. The other reason this watch is special is that it was a gift from my wife (girlfriend at the time) on Valentine's day and a total surprise. Of course, when buying me gifts it's almost as impossible to surprise me as it is to get me something I want and haven't already bought. In the end, this is a great watch. It's comfortable, legible, not too big, incredibly durable (maybe my most durable G-Shock) and is definitely my go-to watch when I need something for yard work or anything sweaty, dirty or dangerous. It takes the abuse in stride and I expect to have it for many years to come.

No comments: