Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Vintage Caravelle Electric

Today was another in a long series of long days, so I'll make this brief. Today I'm wearing my vintage Caravelle electric. Caravelle was a budget Bulova brand and used the same caseback markings to indicate year, so this "N5" watch is from 1975. It's also definitely not running at the moment. It probably doesn't have a battery, and I haven't had a chance to try, but I'd wager even with a battery it won't run. These non-quartz "transistorized" electric watches seem to be victims of their own complexity and I've seen many that don't work. I believe also that many traditional watchmakers are not adept at repairing electric watches, although a few do specialize in them. It's not bad looking, kind of chunky with internal facets around the edge of the crystal to add some visual interest to the dial. Unfortunately, even in mint condition and working properly this simply wouldn't be worth much so I doubt I will go to much trouble getting this cleaned up running again.








No comments: