Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Vintage Elgin 21 Jewels

Today I'm wearing this vintage Elgin 21 jewel handwind watch. I couldn't find a reference for the serial number on the movement, but I would estimate this to be from the 1940s or 1950s. The movement looks good, but it's not running well right now. Also the crystal tend to pop out so I've been very careful with it. This is my first Elgin on the blog but I believe I have some more, possibly just pocket watches. Elgin was an immensely popular watch brand so their vintage watches are still very plentiful today. For some reason I can't find as much information on the Elgin 599 movement as for some others I own, but I did notice it shows up in quite a few Lord Elgin models (a more upmarket line) so it is possible it's one of Elgin's better movements. It's a little plain and has a fairly common design for the time, but the dial is actually quite nice with its fancy applied numerals, and the hands, while plain, are in good condition. A nice watch that is probably deserving of a good servicing and a nice leather strap.












No comments: