Monday, May 5, 2008

I Love the '80s Week - Day 1: Casio G-Shock DW-5000SP

It's day 1 of "I Love The '80s Week" and I already have to cheat. The watch I'm wearing today is the Casio G-Shock DW-5000SP from 2003. It commemorated the 20th anniversary of the first G-Shock by essentially duplicating it. And since I don't have an original DW-5000, this is as close as I can get. It's one of a number of reissues of the classic DW-5000C from 1983. While at first glance it might appear identical to the original, there are a few unique touches. Instead of "Water Resist 200M" (or 20BAR) on the face it has "Project Team Tough", the name of the original G-Shock development team. And while it does have a screwback like the original, this one is stamped with "G-SHOCK" and a large "20" for the anniversary year. The DW-5000SP also has a metal strap keeper stamped "Resist Since 1983". I think this is a really great collector's piece. It has everything that makes a G-Shock popular, along with the classic styling and a few nices touches to set it apart from the more common models, not to mention one of the nicest packages of any G-Shock. There is a similar 25th anniversary model coming out soon, but it is limited to 2008 pieces so I'm not sue if I'll be able to get my hands on one. (Some nice pics of this and other 5xxx series G-Shocks here.)










1 comment:

ron281969 said...

very nice and classic watch